Consumer media habits continue to trend towards mobile. Marketers have ramped up their strategies but there is still a gap between consumer adoption of mobile and marketer spend on the digital platform.
Mobile devices are used on the go in addition to home browsing even while watching TV. Adage has compiled some facts below.
- Time spent browsing on mobile devices has exceeded PC usage.
- Media consumption on mobile is similar to TV and Internet, yet it sees under 10% of ad spend.
- What are consumers doing on their mobile devices? 99.5% access content/information. 63.1% access the Internet. 62.1% check email. 49.2% listen to music. 46% play games. 41.7% download and use apps. 15% make purchases and 15% read books.
- Smartphones and tablets are roughly 29% of total search volume.
- Click through rates for mobile ads have seen a 27% boost per year on tablets and 26% for smartphones.
- Mobile advertising spend has increased by an order of magnitude in the last 4 years. Mobile banner and rich media and video only account for 3% of the total $177 billion in U.S. media spend in the U.S. this year.
- If marketers optimize their full cross-channel media budgets properly, within a decade mobile ad publishers will be serving a $70 billion mobile ad spend market in the U.S. alone and nearly $220 billion worldwide.
- Mobile accounted for 13% of U.S. digital retail sales in the fourth quarter of 2014.
- Smartphones and tablets accounted for 60% of time spent engaging with digital retail content in fourth quarter 2014 in comparison to 40% on desktops.
- A study found that 79% of marketers would increase media allocation for mobile and digital marketing channels, and 74% would increase on social, if ROI tracking for those channels improved.
- Mobile is no longer just about short-form content. 36% of respondents in an Interactive Advertising Bureau survey says they watch videos that are longer than 5 minutes more frequently.
- Marketers show a strong interest in mobile programmatic, as 41% believe it will help them reach target audiences. Relatively few are actually buying mobile inventory programmatically today: 18% via private exchanges and 17% via open exchanges.
- Only 9% of marketers have increased their mobile budgets more than 50% over the past 2 years.
- Time spent per day by adult Internet users has moved from less than an hour a day five years ago to nearly 3 hours a day today.
- The Mobile commerce market in the U.S. is set to grow 25.72% over the period 2014 to 2019.